Friday, December 30, 2005

Yay, Materialism!

I had a longer post, but I accidently pressed the "turn off the computer" key on my computer (for the third time today, but the other times were because I was taking off the keys on my keyboard to thoroughly clean it) and I don't feel like retyping the preamble. To sum up in point form:
* nice, quiet Christmas
* tasty homemade treats
* Anna sent mom a letter about Grammie
* Mom cried
* I teared up
* I became sort of jealous of Anna (She remembers Grammie more vividly than I and she expressed her feelings in a well-written letter that I was jealous of as an aspiring writer)
* Lots of turkey to use up.
* Spent two days in a row in Pajama pants (ooooooooooooh, yeah)

Here's what I got for Christmas:

Corinthian Cream Wafers: Delicious treats in a nice can.

Terry's Chocolate Orange: A Christmas tradition.

Sniff tissues: It's a Christmas tradition (I had a really runny nose as a child).

An Ice Scraper: Mom, I love you but... the Hell?

Cartooning Kit: I got this last year. I really should use it.

Mouthwash pocket paks: I like 'em.

A Toothpaste and a Pen: I love getting a fresh new toothbrush and I like pens. But what sort of sick fuck thinks that they must be sold in the same package? Now, how about some panty hose and a spork? This is a product for crazy people, by crazy people.

Gorillaz - Demon Days: A sweet CD, but I haven't had time to listen to it all. Still, I really like a Gorillaz style of cross-genre tunes. Plus it's nice to know that comic artist Jamie Hewlitt is still getting work drawing the band.

Frank Black - Honeycomb: Not as sweet as some of his other stuff, but still really good.

Simpsons Mini-Calendar: It contains some classic Simpsons moments. Also, Smarch.

Sweater and Socks: Warm and fuzzy.

13 Hours of Noir: a cheap little DVD collection with 9 public domain noir flicks. They don't all look that great but there are some premises in there. I only watched "Detour" which had a great premise, but little pay-off.

Wolverine Action Figue: Damn cool. He's about to pounce on my Heap figure as we speak.

Shadow of the Collossus: I want to play this sooooo bad. Now I have to wait till the PS3 comes out, (assuming my budget will allow it). Or maybe see if Jordan would sell his PS2 after he gets his PS3. Come on Jordan, unless the PS3 decides not to have backwards compatibility with PS one, you won't need it. Do it! Do the deed- *ahem* sorry.

The Comic Book Encyclopedia: Really big and informative, though I have issues with the lengths of certain entries, plus there's way to much unimportant and uninteresting golden age info. Also, some of the info on certain recent projects seems unimportant enough to not be listed. Also ,some entries could have better pictures. And there's the occasional typo that is distracting but other than that it's pretty cool.

The Quitter: Harvey Pekar's (American Splendor) most personal work and first new work for DC. Looks like it's going to be a great read.

Superman: Secret Identity: Awesome! One of my favourite comics, this is the tale of a man named Clack Kent. As a boy, he hated being a Kansis farmboy named Clark Kent, mostly because the name and background is too similar to a certain fictional man of steel. Growing tired of nothing but Superman-related birthday gifts and stale jokes, he's sick do death of the character and his name. But while on a camping trip, Clark discovers that he has more in common with Superman than just a name. A great, touching story of gorwing up and growing old.

Vinamarama: I haven't got it yet, but I was told I would. I'm really looking forward to reading it. It's about an Indian 20-something who is engaged to be married to a girl he's never meet, must look after his young brother and must find away to save the world from being destroyed by an ancient force. A romantic comedy on the cusp of the apocalypse.

$40 gift certicate for Strange Adventures: I assume this is from the twins, but there was no identification oon either the envolope or the certificate. I used it to buy:

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 14: these things come out faster than I can by them. I love the book but please give me at minute! Stop being so prolific Bendis!

Doom Patrol: Down Paradise Way: Super-powered schizoids! Sentient transvetite streets with frilly gun shops! A fictional super-hero teaming up with a non-fictional fictional superhero team. This books like having David Lynch doing the Fantastic Four.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man. You have a blog.

So me and my gf, who you unfortunately didn't get a chance to meet, are "just friends" now. Awww. But we had a pretty good run, and I learned a lot about the world and about myself. And that you can buy refied beans in a can. I seriously didn't know that.

However, it is very clear that my life is at a fairly lame point right now. How do I know? Because I can't wait to see Bloodrayne. I seriously can't fucking wait. Uwe Bole! UWE BOLE!!! YEAHHH!!!!!

Help me, I'm sick.

-Keith

Stefan Robak said...

There, there.
.....
that's all I got.